Wednesday 25 January 2017

Meet The Team


Barry Soumalia
The story of this man is quite a heartwarming story. It’s not like a story out of a science fiction book. Nor is it a clichéd, boring story of just another African man. This story is being told from the bottom of the heart. It is a story of love, hope and lessons learned. A story of challenges and victories, failures and successes, but most importantly of lessons learned along the way. Finally, it is a story of finding ones path and ones purpose in life. It is the story of a young man named Soumaila BARRY, I am from KARI a wonderful village in the west of Burkina Faso. IT IS MY STORY! And I am delighted to tell you all about it.
This moment is a dream come true. I have always wanted to meet great and interesting people from different parts of the world, and work with them in changing the world to make it a better place. We will not do it overnight, neither will our impact appear obvious to the rest of the world. But one small step at a time, one brick at a time, we will build something great that will last throughout the lives of the people that we will encounter.
I want to thank each of you for having chosen ICS in order to challenge yourselves, and to change the world. I want to welcome you here and to reassure you that your presence here counts. What we are doing matters and it will make a difference. Let us be the generation that shines before the world and that brings hope back into the world. Let us be the generation that engages itself in addressing the most pressing issues of the world. Where there is a will, there is a way. It is together that we will find the way. I am already in Ziniaré doing well with my team members, my host family and the APIL staff. Thank you everyone and stay blessed!!! TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER!!!!
Sophie Cottrell
Hi, my name is Sophie, and I’m one of the team leaders of APIL from the UK. This is my first time in Burkina Faso, and so far I feel very at home. I love trying new things and being challenged, and oh boy oh boy is tô a challenge… I miss sweets and crisps.
I am very proud to be working with a group of inspired young people from both Burkina Faso and the UK, all who share in the aim of improving world development and sustainability. I feel very passionately that everyone deserves to have access to clean water, food and to have their basic needs met. We are the first cohort from ICS to partner with APIL, which is both exciting and challenging. APIL works to promote initiatives for local farmers in the Central Plateau Region of Burkina Faso, where they provide farmers with materials, tools and training in sustainable and yield increasing techniques.
Our job as ICS volunteers is to help APIL with their objectives and make a positive lasting difference. Together we are stronger!
Josephine Bassema
Team APIL (ZINIARÉ) slogan is “Together we are stronger!”. My name is Josephine BASSEMA. I am Burkinabe and I come from the north of BURKINA FASO. The name of my beautiful village is RAGNEGMA in the department of TEMA BOKIN. I joined the ICS program because I would like to gain experience working on international and local development projects. I would also like to improve my English. It is my first time in ZINIARE and I am happy to be here. So far I am enjoying my placement with both my team and my host family.
I AM CHALLENGING MYSELF TO CHANGE MY WORLD AND I WILL DO MY BEST!
Mary Andryszweska
Salut! Je suis Mary, je viens de Leeds dans le Yorkshire – la plus belle region de l’Angleterre. J’ai 22 ans et c’est ma premiere fois de venir en Afrique. I already feel so welcome here in beautiful Burkina Faso, especially from my host family and the in-country volunteers. At University I studied Physics but I also enjoy reading about history, doing puzzles and listening to music. I joined ICS to challenge myself, learn about another culture and improve the lives of others. I can’t wait to get started!
Mollie Cohen
I’m Mollie, I’m 21 and I’m from Hertfordshire in England (although I usually pretend I’m cool and say that I’m from London). I have recently graduated from University with a degree in English Literature and History. Aside from liking books, I also enjoy cheese, festivals, and glitter. I am very excited to start our project with APIL. Although moving in and living with a family for three months was a bit of a daunting prospect, it is such an incredible opportunity to live exactly as the Burkinabe’s do. Which includes nearly running over a variety of animals on my bike ride home in the dark…
Albert Bamogo
Hello! My name is Albert BAMOGO. I am 21. I studied geography at the University of Ouagadougou. I come from the central north of Burkina Faso, specifically from a village called Mane. I applied for the ICS program not only to experience work in international and local development, but also to work with an international organisation. I am very excited to work with APIL because APIL will help me to achieve my ambitions. On my part, I also hope to use my experience and abilities to achieve the expectations APIL have of us. I want God to bless us all to do good work, as those that are blessed cannot be cursed.
APIL TEAM - TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER!
Augustin Kapioko
Hi,​ ​je​ ​suis​ ​Augustin​ ​Nerewaya​ ​KAPIOKO.​ ​Je​ ​suis​ ​de​ ​la​ ​belle​ ​cité​ ​du​ ​cavalier​ ​rouge​ ​et​ ​est​ ​actuellement​ ​en placement​ ​ICS​ ​avec​ ​l`ONG​ ​APIL​ ​a​ ​Ziniare.​ ​Comme​ ​pour​ ​magnifier​ ​le​ ​brassage​ ​culturel​ ​entre britaniques​ ​et​ ​burkinabes,​ ​je​ ​ferai​ ​ce​ ​blog​ ​en​ ​francais​ ​et​ ​en​ ​anglais.
My​ ​story​ ​with​ ​ICS​ ​is​ ​like​ ​a​ ​science-fiction​ ​movie.​ My first encounter with International Service and the ICS program was a poster that I saw advertising the need for in-country volunteers and team leaders. I was nervous but also intrigued, so I looked at the IS website. On the website, I found different blogs from volunteers, and I learned about all the opportunities that International Service offers. I am excited to start our project as I am passionate about local and international development. I studied geography at the University of Koudougou, and I love sport – especially football. I chose to be a volunteer with ICS to learn how to work in a multicultural team and also to improve my English.
J’ai donc saisi l'occasion et postuler pour le poste de volontaire national. L’histoire est longue mais bref, je suis actuellement en placement ICS avec l’ONG APIL a Ziniaré et tout ce passe merveilleusement bien  avec ma  “Host Family”, mon équipe “APIL team”, les agents de APIL et tous les habitants de l’Oubritenga.... L’integration est a la limite de la perfection.
JOIN ICS PROGRAM TO CHALLENGE YOURSELF AND CHANGE YOUR WORLD.
Amy Hughes
Hey, my name is Amy, I’m from South-West London. I studied my undergraduate and masters in International Relations and Global Issues at the University of Nottingham. I have since worked with several charities and NGO’s who do incredible work all over the world. ICS seemed like the natural choice for me and I’m very excited to be starting my placement with APIL in Burkina Faso as an International Service volunteer.
I cannot wait to begin my placement, as APIL is a local organisation that works with farmers to improve food security and educate on the importance of caring for the environment, which are issues that I feel very passionately about also. Its approach, which seeks to decentralise decision-making and empower farmers, especially women farmers, to have a say in local affairs, is particularly inspiring for me. I look forward to working with my team to produce the activities which will benefit APIL and lead to improved development in the area of Ziniaré in Burkina Faso. It’s time to THINK GLOBAL and ACT LOCAL.  
TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER
       L’UNION FAIT LA FORCE
Salifu Ouedraogo
My name is OUEDRAOGO SALIFOU, I have studied Agricultural Economics and Environmental Studies at University. I come from in the central northern part of BURKINA FASO in a small town called Korsimoro which is about 30 KM away from ZINIARÉ.
I chose the ICS program to make new friends and to build language skills. I also chose to work with International Service because I am passionate about the natural world and development. I hope to put my experience to use by helping our local communities to improve their living conditions.
Sonia Yahiaoui
I’m Sonia, and I come from London but I am originally from Paris. I chose to join ICS to live with and work close to local communities to understand, and to help them to develop their country and their condition of living. I studied International Child and Family Law at University, and I believe that this project is a great opportunity to put my knowledge into practice. Working with APIL is a great start for me because in the future I want to work in international development and within a multicultural context. I have a genuine passion for people and human rights and I am really enjoying my placement so far. ICS is giving me the opportunity to discover Burkina Faso, a country that I might not have visited otherwise.
I feel already at home with my host family, and everyone has made me feel very comfortable. My host father himself is involved in charity work, as he helps to teach illiterate adults how to read and write. I have already helped my host brother with his English homework, and have bonded with the little boy Papou, who is only three! Although I am far away from everything that I know and love I really like that I am being challenged every day.
Whilst the United States Supreme Court once stated that we could be separate but equal, today I would say that we can be together but equal, and stronger for it!
Dramane Ko

Hello, My name is Ko Dramane. I come from Serena, a small village about 40 km from Boromo in the south of BURKINA FASO. I am currently an International Service volunteer for the ICS program at APIL in Ziniaré. I applied to be an ICS volunteer because as a farmer's child, I have seen a lot of inequalities and I want to contribute to building sustainable development in my country. I want to help in the fight against poverty, gender inequality and food security issues, as when you are hungry you cannot work to your full potential. I already feel so at home, and comfortable with my new family.

I thank ICS for giving me the opportunity to develop myself positively and to be an active citizen.

Khader Hassan

My name is Khader Hassan. I’m 23 years old from Oxford, England where I went to Hogwarts…, jokes aside. I recently graduated University in History and Politics, with a big focus on development. I recently arrived in West Africa, in the beautiful country Burkina Faso. My new host mum (or MAMA) is so hospitable, taking care of my every need and going beyond all of my expectations. The first thing my new MAMA told me and my counterpart is “you two are my sons now”. So far the food has been excellent, with a variety of delicious rice, pasta, and meat dishes. I chose to do a placement with ICS because in the future I want to work in development. Also – what’s better than fulling immersing myself in the culture, and becoming a Burkinabe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment